Moving to a new home is always a bit stressful. But if you’re moving because you’re getting a divorce in Colorado it can be incredibly stressful. The moving experts at Cowboy Moving & Storage have helped many people with their moves while going through a divorce. They put together this list of helpful tips to help guide you to moving out after a divorce.
1. Take Inventory of What is Yours: Oftentimes this is determined during divorce proceedings. Set aside the items that are yours in one location in the home and your spouse’s possessions in another location. If you’re not sure, put those items in a separate pile and go through them together.
2. Get Rid Of What You Don’t Want or Need: Take the time to downsize your belongings before you move. If you haven’t used something in a while or can do without it, get rid of it through a garage sale or online marketplace. Discard or leave behind any sentimental items that are tied to your ex, including photos, letters and gifts. Donate items you don’t want to sell. The more you get rid of, the easier it will be to start fresh.
3. Book Your Mover: It’s best for the two of you to have separate moving dates so movers aren’t running into each other. Book your mover well in advance as prime dates like weekends fill up.
4. Start Packing: Try to begin packing at least 10 days out. Pack nonessential items first and essential items last. Put aside a box for the items you’ll need immediate access to, including medications, toiletries, bathroom items, a coffeemaker and bedding. Label these boxes and separate them from your other possession. It will make moving day easier.
5. Be Prepared For Your Moving Day: Have water and snacks available for you and the packers or movers. Make sure you’re available that day to answer questions they may have about what’s going and what’s staying. Ask your ex to be somewhere else on moving day. If you have younger children, let them spend the day with your ex or good friend. It can be stressful for children to see their home dismantled.
6. Start Fresh: Once your items are moved to your new home, put on some upbeat music and start unpacking! Splurge a little and buy some new décor or furniture that will help make your home look different from your last one. A fresh start can feel pretty good.
7. Stay Positive: Yes, this is a big change and heartache is usually involved. Don’t be afraid to ask friends to help you during the process of packing, moving and unpacking. A little support can make a big difference.
Talk To A Moving Expert
The moving experts at Cowboy Moving & Storage can make any move in Colorado easier. They never use day laborers or contractors, and every employee is thoroughly vetted and background checked. They’ll take care of your valued possessions! Cowboy Moving & Storage is a family owned and operated business and has helped Coloradans move since 1968. They’ve got more than 2,100 five-star reviews on ReviewBuzz, too! Call 303-789-2200 for your free estimate today.