Tips For Moving With Children.
So, you and your family are ready to move into a brand new place. Whether it’s a new home, townhome, condo or apartment in Colorado, moving takes a lot of organization and planning. The moving experts at Cowboy Moving & Storage in Denver have put together this list of tips that can make the move a lot more manageable and less stressful for your children.
• Have a family meeting to discuss the move. Give everyone a chance to air their concerns and feelings. If this is the first time your kids are moving, share your first-move experiences with them. Let them know you’ll be depending on them to help out during the move.
• Set aside a day for the whole family to purge before packing. It’s the perfect time to get rid of toys that are no longer used, electronics that are outdated and clothes that are no longer worn. Make three piles: throw out, sell and donate.
• If possible, do a site visit with the whole family. Do a walk-through through the new home and listen to everyone’s vision of how they want to arrange their furniture and belongings. Make sure to come with measurements so you can be sure everything will fit.
• If you are packing up your belongings yourself, make a schedule. Allow yourselves 30% more time than you think it will take. The last thing you want is to have movers waiting for you to finish packing.
• Have an adult supervise children as they pack up their belongings. Teach them the right way to wrap belongings and pack them.
• The day of the move, you might want to arrange for younger children to spend the day with neighbors or friends.
• When your belongings arrive at your new home, have a plan of action for each family member so everyone knows which room or rooms they will be unpacking. Again, pair up adults with small children or if they are too young to help, buy a new game or video to keep them occupied and not under foot.