Declutter Before You Move
If you’re like most people, you’ve accumulated a bit of clutter in your home. Most of us procrastinate about getting rid of clutter and reducing the amount of “stuff” we have in our homes. There’s no better time to actually declutter and get rid of things you no longer use, want or need than when you’re moving to a new home.
Here are great reasons why it’s smart to declutter your home before your move:
• There will be less to pack and unpack. Compare the time it takes to carefully wrap old dishes and items in bubble wrap and put them into a box, versus donating them to a charity. If you haven’t used an item in the past year, it might be time to donate it.
• Fewer boxes cost less money. By decluttering, most people eliminate 5-10 boxes or more, which saves money. The fewer boxes you move, the less your move will cost.
• Realtors always recommend that you declutter before you put your home on the market. It makes your space seem bigger and more spacious and helps the potential buyers envision their own belongings in your space. Decluttering could actually help sell your home faster.
How To Declutter
The experts at Cowboy Moving & Storage in Denver have put together this list of ways to declutter your home before the movers arrive at your home.
• Start sooner than later. You don’t want to feel rushed when you are packing.
• Establish a system. Set up three boxes in each room labeled “Donate”, “Sell” or “Keep.” It makes it easy to sort while you are packing.
• Ask if you have used an item in the past 12-16 months. If not, it might be time to get rid of it.
• Pack room by room. It’s more confusing if you try to pack multiple rooms at a time.
• Get rid of duplicates of household items.
• Use your existing food items and extra grocery items before you move. Donate what you can’t use to the local food bank.
• Consider having a garage sale or use Facebook Marketplace to get rid of items you no longer need and earn some extra cash at the same time!
Talk To An Expert
Looking for a professional mover in Colorado? The moving experts at Cowboy Moving & Storage have been helping Coloradans move to new homes since 1968. With more than 2,200 five-star ratings on ReviewBuzz, you can trust the team at Cowboy Moving & Storage.