How To Protect Carpets and Floors During a Move
Moving to a new home or office is exciting. It’s always great to start fresh. However, if you want to protect those fresh carpets and floors during your move, you need to protect them. If you’re renting, it’s especially important to protect floor coverings so you won’t be on the hook for repair costs! The moving experts at Cowboy Moving & Storage in Englewood, CO put together these tips on how to protect your flooring and carpeting during a move.
1. Never drag any furniture across the floor. This can damage delicate flooring surfaces and even damage or break floor tiles. Carry lighter pieces of furniture and use furniture sliders and rubber-wheeled dollies to move heavy items out of your old home and into your new one.
2. Use thick blankets to cover the edges of pieces of furniture, kitchen appliances and other heavy items. The extra padding will soften the force of impact if you happen to drop a heavy item.
3. Use high quality tape to reinforce the bottoms of your cardboard boxes. Don’t overfill boxes and don’t make them too heavy to carry.
4. Use sturdy boxes that can easily hold the weight of what you are packing in them. Previously-used boxes often have declined strength so choose your boxes carefully.
5. Place doormats in front of each door to prevent dust, mud, water, snow and debris from being transported into your home.
6. Use a clear film to cover your carpeting in main corridors that will be used by your movers.
7. You can use old area rugs or blankets to create temporary floor protection on the day of your move. Place them at strategic points along exit paths. Use tape to secure them if needed. You don’t want people to trip over them.
8. Floor runners can also be used on floors or over carpets in your home. They are usually made of neoprene and have an anti-slip surface on one side that will keep them from shifting. Unfortunately, floor runners can be expensive.
9. You can use flat pieces of cardboard to keep your floors and carpets protected.
Talk to a Moving Expert
When in doubt, talk to a moving expert like Cowboy Moving & Storage in Denver. They can pack and move your entire home, just move heavy items, and even move everything that you have packed. You can request a free cost estimate. Most of the time, it can be done over the phone. Cowboy Moving & Storage is one of the most highly rated movers in the state of Colorado. They drug and alcohol test every employee and do thorough background checks. They never use contractors or day laborers so you can trust your valuables to their team! They’ve been in business since 1968 with more than 2,300 5 star reviews on ReviewBuzz. Talk to Cowboy Moving & Storage today at 303-789-2200.