Should I Paint Before Or After I Move?Moving to a new home can be stressful and exciting all at th
Moving to a new home can be stressful and exciting all at the same time. There are so many details to take care of, from selecting a reputable mover to packing all of your belongings and arranging for new utility services. If you’re moving to a brand new home, you get to select paint colors and flooring. If you’re moving to an established home, condo, townhome or apartment, you also have some decisions to make. If you don’t like the wall colors and know you want to repaint, should you do so before you move your belongings in or after you’ve lived in your new home for a while?
We talked to the moving experts at Cowboy Moving about this, and here is their advice.
Sometimes it makes sense to wait until after you’ve moved in to paint your walls. It gives you an opportunity to live in your new space and use your imagination to determine which colors would be right for each room. However, most experts agree—it makes more sense to paint your home before you move in. Here’s why:
• It’s easier to paint a home when it’s empty. It takes less time and effort. Whether you’re using professional painters or painting it yourself, it’s easy to protect and cover the floors and them smoothly move from room to room as you paint.
• It costs less to paint an empty home if you are using professional painters. They price the job according to the coverage area and labor hours. Painters can work at a faster rate when they are painting an empty home.
• It’s more convenient to paint an empty home because they can access the walls easier. Residents also don’t have to remove furniture, items or clothing and décor before the painters can get to work. Your belongings won’t get damaged or paint spills, smudges or splotches, either.
• If your new home in unoccupied, it’s faster and easier to clean up after painting your walls. You’ll be able to enjoy your new paint job faster and your home will look fresher after you move in.
• It’s less messy to paint before your movers arrive with your belongings. Just make sure the paint is completely dry before you move in.
There are some advantages to painting after a move, however. You don’t have to worry about scratching or damaging your newly painted walls. Sometimes it’s easier to select a color when all of your belongings are already moved into your new home.
Whether you decide to paint before or after your move, the most important decision you’ll make is who you will trust to move your valuable belongings. Cowboy Moving & Storage in Denver has been helping Coloradans move into new homes since 1968. Every employee is a moving expert, who has been background checked and alcohol/drug tested. Cowboy Moving & Storage does not use contract labor, so you can move with confidence. If you are moving within the state of Colorado, choose Cowboy Moving & Storage—THE Recommended Moving Company, with more than 2,200 five-star reviews on ReviewBuzz alone!
For your free moving estimate, call (303) 789-2200.