Your Complete Guide for Tipping Movers
Moving from one home to another is never easy, but hiring professional movers can significantly reduce your stress. The big question is: is it okay to show your appreciation with a tip for your movers? After all, they’ve moved all of your possessions, protected your technology and made your life much easier. We asked the moving experts at Cowboy Moving & Storage about tipping for your move. Here’s what they had to say about it.
Tipping during of move is by no means required, but if you’re working with a professional moving team and they make your move less stressful, it’s appropriate to acknowledge their efforts with a tip. The general rule of thumb is to tip 5-10% of the total move cost. This can be done by tipping $4-$5 per mover per hour or, if it’s a $1,000 move, divide a $50-$100 tip evenly between the team members on your move.
You can choose to tip differently, depending on different factors about your move. These include:
• Weather conditions. If your movers are dealing with rain, extreme heat or snow and ice, you may want to tip even more.
• How organized were you prior to their arrival? If you had all your belongings boxed, labeled and ready to load, you’ll have some happy movers. If you have boxes that aren’t labeled and they work hard to get them to the right rooms, tipping a little extra is in order.
• Did your movers pack items for you? You should also tip on the cost of the packing service.
• How many hours did your movers work? Did they work beyond the estimated amount of time the moving company gave you? If they are moving slowly and that’s what delayed the move, there is no need to tip. But, if they are working hard and putting in more hours, a tip is very appropriate.
• Are they having to manage several flights of stairs? You might tip a little more because of the extra effort and energy they spent going up and down stairs.
• Are they moving oversized items? If so, you might want to tip a little extra. After all, you’re not having to move those big heavy items yourself!
When Do You Tip Your Movers?
If you are moving cross country, the people who pack or load your moving van might not be the same involved in unloading your belongings. Tip them before you leave town.
If it’s a local move, you can tip any time during the process of moving. Most people prefer to tip at the end of the day, once the move is completed to your satisfaction. Others tip at the beginning of the day to provide extra motivation.
You can also consider non-cash tips during the day, like providing lunch or sports drinks and water during the move.
If you forgot to have cash on hand for a tip, you can always call the moving company’s office and ask to do a separate transaction for the tip for your moving team.
Talk To An Expert
If you are moving within the state of Colorado, be sure to include Cowboy Moving & Storage in the moving estimate process. Cowboy Moving & Storage has been helping Colorado families and businesses with their moving needs since 1968. Family owned and operated, Cowboy Moving & Storage is The Recommended Mover with more than 2,200 five-star reviews on ReviewBuzz. You can trust them with your move!