Tips to Prepare Your Appliances
There are so many things to do to prepare for a move, whether you’re moving down the street or are moving to Colorado Springs, the Western Slope or the Front range of Colorado. The moving experts at Cowboy Moving & Storage in Denver have put together this list of tips for moving with appliances that can help you reduce stress and headaches—and damage!
1. Disconnect all of your appliances before your moving company arrives.
2. Most movers won’t touch hard-wired appliances or anything connected to gas, like dryers and stoves. Movers are not certified technicians so it’s best to leave your items in the hands of electrical professionals.
3. Remove anything loose inside the appliance.
4. Defrost your refrigerator. Unplug it at least 24 hours prior to your move in order to give your refrigeration plenty of time to adjust and prevent leaks on moving day. You also have to give your freezer time to defrost and you’ll need some time to clean your refrigerator, as well. Disconnect the water line and make sure it’s completely drained.
5. Clean and dry all the shelves in your refrigerator to prevent mold and mildew from forming during your move. Clean the drip tray as well.
6. If you didn’t save the parts used to secure the drums in your washer and dryer when you bought them, you might want to contact your manufacturer for a replacement kit.
7. Clean and disconnect your stove. Make sure the gas is turned off before you disconnect it. When in doubt, contact your gas company for help.
8. Secure all cords for your various appliances. Tape them to the pack of each unit with packing tape so they don’t get misplaced or packed in a box. Don’t let the cords dangle or hang loosely.
9. Empty all gas tanks in outdoor tools and toys like lawnmowers, snow blowers, scooters and motorcycles. A moving company can’t move anything with a full tank of gas, including propane tanks.
10. When in doubt, ask Cowboy Moving & Storage! Our moving professionals are happy to answer your questions about moving. We want your move to go smoothly and safely!
Cowboy Moving & Storage is THE Recommended Mover in the state of Colorado. We have more than 2,000 five-star reviews on ReviewBuzz and have been keeping customers happy since 1968. We’re here to help you move your belongings to your new home or to our secure and safe storage facility. We look forward to serving you!