Five Tips To Save Money During Your Move
Moving from one household to another takes a serious investment of both time and money. There are lots of details to juggle, and the cost can add up quickly. The moving experts at Cowboy Moving & Storage in Denver, CO put together this list of five tips that can save you money during your move, so you have more to spend on things you might want for your new home!
1. Lighten Your Load Before The Move. The cost of moving is based on space and time. The more lightweight and compact your belongings, the less you’ll spend on your move. A few weeks before your move, start getting rid of old clothing, possessions and furniture that you won’t need in your new home. Get rid of old appliances, grills, toys, and accessories before your move. Then you can buy new versions after you arrive at your new home.
2. Start Collecting Packing Materials Now. Instead of buying lots of packing paper and boxes, try to save and gather boxes that are sturdy, undamaged and stain-free, especially with lingering organic matter (like produce boxes) that could attract insects. Save newspapers and other large paper items instead of buying expensive packing paper. A word to the wise: don’t pack your fine china with newsprint because it can rub off. Use plain paper instead.
3. Pack Some Belongings Yourself. Instead of having your movers pack all of your belongings, try to pack most of it yourself. You may want to use a mover to pack electronic equipment like televisions and stacking electronics. But your family can certainly pack clothing, books, linens, etc. Plus you can use towels, sheets, t-shirts, blankets and other linens to cushion breakables like dishes and accessories.
4. Move Your Vehicle Yourself. It costs a lot to have a moving company move your vehicle. Drive your vehicle yourself and fill it with the items you’ll need as soon as you get to your new home, like toiletries, kitchen basics, towels, a few days’ worth of clothing, plants, pets and pet supplies. It usually costs less to rent a small one-way trailer to tow some belongings than to have a mover move everything for you.
5. Be Prepared When Your Movers Arrive. Be fully packed with your items ready to be loaded onto the truck when your movers arrive. That way your movers will spend time loading instead of waiting. Have your new home unlocked and ready to be unloaded as soon as your movers arrive. Be sure to compare moving estimates to avoid false savings from time estimates that are unrealistic.
Work With A Reputable Mover
There are a lot of fly-by-night moving companies who will give you a low-ball estimate and then tack on extra costs. Be sure to get multiple moving bids and check out each mover’s social media reviews and standing with the Better Business Bureau. Make sure they have an actual headquarters and own their own trucks. Find out if they screen their employees for drugs and alcohol. Make sure they don’t use day laborers.
Cowboy Moving & Storage has been helping Coloradans move since 1968. Family owned and operated, Cowboy Moving & Storage has more than 2,100 5-star reviews on ReviewBuzz. Make sure you contact them for a quote and advice before you choose a mover. You’ll be glad you did.