Moving During A Holiday
Moving is tough enough without having to do it during a holiday weekend or season. But sometimes, you don’t have a choice—you have to move during the holidays. The moving experts at Cowboy Moving & Storage have helped many families move during a holiday weekend like Easter or Memorial Day—and even during the winter holidays. They put together this list of tips to help you move during the holidays with minimal stress.
1. Try to give yourself at least a month to plan your move. Choose the date you want the move to happen and work backward to build your packing and moving schedule. Rushing the process will make moving during the holidays even more stressful.
2. Contact movers immediately as they book up quickly, especially on weekends. You’ll want to get estimates from at least three moving companies so the sooner you start, the better.
3. Make plans for a holiday gathering away from your home. The last thing you need is trying to have a family gathering at your home in the midst of a move. Ask a relative to host the holiday instead or make plans to dine at a restaurant. If you must do your holiday celebration at your home, host a potluck instead in order to minimize cooking and clean up.
4. Pack a little at a time. If you aren’t having the moving company pack you, try to pack up the rooms you don’t need for the holidays first, like guest rooms or closets. Give yourself lots of time to pack. It takes longer than you think!
5. Pack up most of your holiday decorations. Just keep a few out so your home has a little of the holiday spirit.
6. Moving during the holidays can cost a little more, especially if you plan your move at the last minute. The sooner you make arrangements, the more you’ll save.
Choose The Right Moving Company
Whether you’re moving during the holidays or not, it’s important to choose a reputable moving company. Make sure your moving company has an actual address. Lots of fly-by-night movers don’t have an actual building, which is a “red flag.” Also, don’t choose a mover that requires a down payment. You also want to use a mover that uses employees and not contractors or day laborers. The team at Cowboy Moving & Storage has been helping families with all of their moving needs in Colorado since 1968. We have more than 2,200 five-star reviews on ReviewBuzz. We’d love to help you with your move.